Representative O’Brien is running for this 6th term in the November 2018 election. Mike also serves as a Nashua Alderman At Large.
The Nashua Telegraph ran the following posting about Mike on Nov 4, 2016:
“O’Brien, 61, has lived in Nashua for more than 35 years. He recently retired from Nashua Fire Rescue after 35 years of service, ending his career with the rank of deputy fire chief. He has previously served four terms in Concord and is a member of the city’s Board of Aldermen.
I have previously served our residents for more than eight years as a state representative in Concord. I twice held a leadership position as vice chairman of the House Transportation Committee, where we passed the “no texting while driving” law.
I also was part of the collation to form the New Hampshire Rail Authority, linking many communities together in support of commuter rail. And in speaking of such, I have been a strong voice in support of commuter rail, for it is my belief that commuter rail will be a future boost to our local economy and will provide a return on our investment.
Currently, I also serve you as an alderman at-large. It is my belief that combining these two offices gives me the clarity to interpret that what happens in the Statehouse can obviously have an adverse or positive effect on our city.
In combining these two roles, I promise to continue to be a strong advocate for our city in the Statehouse.“
Phone: (603) 305-6368
Married: three children, three grandchildren. Michael’s daughter Haley gave birth in May 2015 to the newest member of the O’Brien family – Avery Wing Sum Lai. Michael’s son and son-in-law are both Nashua Fire and Rescue members.
Occupation: Retired career firefighter – former Deputy Fire Chief at Nashua Fire & Rescue
Residence: Nashua, Ward 9
- Acting Four-term State Representative, including twice serving as Vice Chair of the Transportation Committee. This committee manages the roads budget throughout the state.
- Acting Nashua Alderman at Large
- Member – Mayor’s Task Force on Transportation
- Board of Directors – the Great American Downtown.
MY GREATEST ACHIEVEMENTS IN THE LAST SESSION WERE ……
- Committee member for the formation of the New Hampshire Rail Authority.
- Committee member and amendment author for the “No Texting while driving Bill”
- Author of the Bill to protect the rights of tenants to have an eviction hearing in a local court and not in another venue across the state.
MY GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT IN THE LAST SESSION WAS …..
that Commuter Rail is not yet shovel ready.
I AM EXCITED TO BE YOUR WARD 9 REPRESENTATIVE BECAUSE …..
Because I love the city of Nashua, and every day I want to work hard to make it better for its current and future citizens.
ISSUES THAT I AM PASSIONATE ABOUT ……
- Public safety is my number one concern – I support highly trained, property staffed, and well equipped first responders to aid our citizens in their times of need
- Vehicle safety – seat belt & anti-texting legislation
- Commuter rail – I fully support New Hampshire Capitol Corridor Project
- Protecting the state employee retirement system
- The development of a high end casino in New Hampshire to bring jobs and fiscal relief to cities and towns